Skip to content
Why chocolate is bad for dogs

Why chocolate is bad for dogs

Why chocolate is bad for dogs

Chocolate contains substances known as methylxanthines, specifically caffeine and theobromine which are toxic to dogs. Dogs take longer to break down theobromine and depending on your dog’s weight, even small amounts of chocolate can be dangerous.

The darker and bitter the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to dogs.

There are many types of chocolate and they all have different levels of theobromine in them. 

We say! Just don’t take a chance – do not let your dog have chocolate.

Signs your dog could have eaten chocolate

Initial or minor symptoms

  • Diarrhoea & vomiting
  • Restlessness
  • Increased urination
  • Agitation or hyperactivity
  • Drooling excessive saliva
  • Drinking more water than normal

Worsening

  • Racing heart rate
  • High blood pressure
  • Heart arrhythmias (the rhythm of the heartbeat)

High doses – Worse case

  • Seizures
  • Tremors or twitching
  • Collapse
  • Cardiac failure
  • Muscle rigidity
  • Death

If you think the dog has eaten chocolate – what should you do?

Do not take a chance, call your vet immediately and they will give you appropriate advice.

Keep Chocolate out of reach.

Make sure all chocolate products, including cocoa powder and hot chocolate, mixes are stored out of reach from your dog.

Dog’s watch and learn so always go higher than they can reach.

Be very vigilant around holiday times, like Valentines, Easter and Christmas.

Previous article National Dog Week
Next article Top Tip Tuesday