Night Safety Tips for Dog Walkers
As the days grow shorter and the nights grow longer, walking your dog at night seems to be the only option during the winter months. While dog walking at night is often quite adventurous and fun, there are a couple of night safety tips you should be aware of to make sure both you and your fluffy companion are always safe when the sun goes down.
Night Safety Tips for You
Walking the dog at night brings new challenges that you don’t often experience when you walk your dog in the day. It’s harder to see where you’re going, your dog or even other pedestrians, bicycles and vehicles, which all increases the risk of being involved in an accident.
- Carry a Torch - Especially if you take your dog to the park, where there are less street lights in woodland areas, or better yet, wear a head light which will make your hands free and give you better control of your dog.
- Wear Bright Clothing - Whether this is your brightly coloured coat or effective reflective gear, you should wear brightly coloured clothing to make your whereabouts known.
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings - Road traffic accidents are more common at night so be more aware of your surroundings especially bicyclists who are harder to see in the dark.
- Avoid Listening to Music - If you are listening to music especially through your headphones or earphones, you won’t be able to hear bicycles or cars if they are in danger to their surroundings.
- Carry Your Phone - It is always a good idea to take a phone with you to call 999 incase of an emergency.
Night Safety for Your Dog
Light and bright! You are far more likely to lose your dog at night than any other time of the day. Our main advice for night safety would be to increase the visibility of your dog, making it a lot easier for you and other pedestrians to see your dog at night.
- Always on a Leash Unless in an Enclosed Space - Reduces the risk of your dog running out on the road and being involved in an accident.
- Reflective Gear - There are a lot of reflective options for your dog including reflective coats, collars, leads and strips.
- Dog Walking Light - Dog walking lights are crucial for night safety and there are many different types of options which we will explore below.
- Glow in the Dark Toys - Why not have fun and be safe at the same time! Glow in the dark dog toys are excellent for visibility when playing with your dog in the park. Explore our full range of night safety dog toys below.
Night Safety Dog Walking Lights
From LED dog collars and leads to blinkers and lights, there are a wide range of night safety products that will keep your dog safe and visible at night.
Hi-vis Flashing Lead Attachment
Can be used with any collar and trigger hook lead for instant illumination, the Hi-vis Flashing Lead Attachment only needs 30 minutes of charge for 4 hours of flashing light. With 2 light settings available, flashing or steady light, it will immediately alert drivers or other pedestrians of your dog's whereabouts.
USB Flashing Band
Available in 2 bright colours, the USB Flashing Band will make your dog unmissable at night. Simply clips around your dog’s neck for instant illumination for 500 meters with just 30 minutes of charge. With 3 light settings; flashing, speedy flash, and constant light, it is water-resistant - safe in light rain and has a USB recharge.
Orbiloc Dog Dual Safety Light
This popular, high-quality LED dog safety light for collars, harnesses and jackets, is visible up to 5 km/3 miles, so you and your dog are clearly visible in the dark. It has two very effective options; steady on light and flashing light which has a battery life of 100 hours when steady-on and 250 hours when flashing. Waterproof and impact resistant, the Orbiloc Dog Dual Safety Light even has a 3-year warranty because it’s that good!
Soft Blinker Dog Safety Light
Available in orange or green, this small but bright blinker can be wrapped around a collar, lead, or bag which provides instant illumination so your dog can be seen at night. It has three different light settings: two flashing settings and one steady light setting to alert drivers and pedestrians of your dog’s whereabouts. It is even water-resistant in light rain and has a replaceable battery.
Glow in the Dark Dog Toys
You can still have the same amount of fun when walking your dog at night with these highly visible glow in the dark dog toys!
Chuckit! Max Glow Launcher with Glow Ball
Available in two sizes and various colours, the Chuckit! Max Glow Launcher with Glow Ball is designed to enhance throwing speed and distance while glowing bright for high-visibility fetch after dark. Chuckit!'s durable launchers are designed for outdoor use and the launcher's cupped end securely grasps muddy, slimy balls, helping your hands stay clean no matter how messy playtime gets.
Chuckit! Max Glow Balls
Available in small or medium, the Chuckit! Max Glow Balls are ideal for pets who are active at night or pet parents who get home late. Recharges in seconds under a bright flashlight, they feature a photo-luminescent material that's both eye-catching and safe for pets.
Chuckit Max Glow Zipflight
Super illuminative glow in the dark frisbee for dogs! On land and in the water the Chuckit Max Glow Zipflight is an amphibious flying ring designed for exceptional visibility and performance. Charge under bright light for 5 to 10 minutes for 20 minutes of glowing playtime. Can be used for frisbee fun or just classic tug of war with your dog.
What do you think of our Night Safety Products?
It is always better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to you and your dog’s safety. With colder, darker nights ahead, be sure to be extra safe with night safety lights and highly viability dog toys so both of you are noticeable to other pedestrians and vehicles.
With Halloween, Bonfire Night and New Year’s Eve quickly approaching, have you thought about what you can do to prepare your dog for the loud noises and fireworks? If not, read our Effective Methods to Calm a Dog.